November 11, 2013

A chair!


This time things actually went as planned!! I'm super excited to share my newest creation with all of you, my dear readers! Finally, after many failed attempts..... I present to you.... a chair! :)


This is the end result and my first chair made from scratch. I like how it turned out although I might have been a bit too impatient to finish it and see how it will look. I could have done some more sanding on the back but all in all I think it's great for a first try.

Now as promised in my last post, I'd like to show you my new working area....

This is my father's workshop. As you can see he isn't exactly accustomed to keeping things clean. And I completely understand that you can't have a clean workshop if you actually work in it. You can see the large lathe he has on the left. Too bad it's not small enough for making minis....

This is the other part of the workshop where I'm currently taking up space :) It's too cold to work outside now but at least here I don't have to worry about bad weather and can work any time I like (unlike on my balcony).

And another view.... You can see the saw we use to cut the wood for my minis. Actually, my dad cuts everything to the correct thickness.... I guess it's for the best since I would probably loose a finger or two trying to operate this thing.

Now for some pictures of work in progress on the chair. It took me quite some time to figure out the best way for making mini chairs that would stick together. I'm very aware that these are not even a little close to what they could be like but for now I'm satisfied they stay glued together. The chair is made out of pear wood.


This is how I started....  These two seats are for the new chairs, I forgot to take pictures of the "prototype".

And this is the actual chair in the making (from the picture above). I had so much fun cutting out these tiny cabriole legs! They're a lot easier to cut than the ones for tables since they're about two times thinner to begin with.

Then it was time for the back of the chair. I drew my own pattern so there isn't another chair like this in the world. And of course some holes and a lot more sawing. 

And this is the semi finished result. I love how it turned out! After I figured out the lower part and forced it to stick together I got a little worried about the back. But it all worked out perfectly.

And here it is, fully assembled although not yet completely sanded.

If you look closely you can see that the legs are made of different wood. I just had a spare piece of walnut the right size and since this was a "prototype" I didn't want to bug my dad with cutting me pear for the legs. Now that I've seen it sticks together and how it works I do have pear wood for legs also.


And the end result. I wanted to make it into a shabby chic style but I can't decide if I should leave it like this (just white) or should I sand some parts and make it look a bit work and more shabby-chic-like. Any thoughts?

I couldn't resist trying it with one of my tables. Although this table is actually meant to be more of a side table or something standing in a foyer, not a table you would put a chair to..... but still, I had to see how it would look. I think I'm going to have to make a shabby chic dining table and some more chairs.

I was thinking of making some very light pink or lavender chair colours..... Hmm..... I think those would be lovely although I'm not sure they would fit into any settings.... Or perhaps I should just leave them a natural colour? Any suggestions on chair colours? 

Now I can't wait to make more chairs! Seems like once I understand how something works I can't wait to make more. I'm sure I'll make some walnut ones (finished with shellac) in the future but right now I'd like to get some more practice with pear wood (we have a lot more of pear than walnut wood at home). And I don't feel bad about colouring pear but I wouldn't dream of colouring walnut (except for the scrap piece I had for this chair legs) or much less mahogany.

Until next time!

*Poof*









11 comments:

  1. Its so beautiful! I am elated you moved into chairs your woodworking has become so perfect, I love to see what your skills create!

    I do love your dark stained furniture the best, it looks so regal!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this process. Lovely shaped chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work as usual, and I love the work space! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the pictures and your process. It's amazing.
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great seeing how you made the chair. I would love to have a go at making the back of a chair but I don't know if I could make the legs. Personally I love the sound of a lilac chair but you need to do chairs that would fit into your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a unique style of your furniture. I really like your table & chair legs.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  7. un trabajo precioso y fantastico , me encanta esa silla , y creo que quedara bien cualquier color que se te ocurra

    besitos

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic work! I really like your chair.
    Greetings, Faby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice chair, and nice that it looks a lot like the tables you have done =) They will go great together! Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eres una artista con la madera, preciosa la silla, me encanta.
    Un abrazo.
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Work! It is wonderful to have a designated workspace to carry out your various construction projects! Your dad's workshop fits the bill and your chair is really good!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete