This is going to be a bit of a long post, I just wanted to show the progress I've made.
Ok, first let me show you what the table looks like assembled, but still without drawers.
I had to rethink the top of the desk. I don't have any mini hinges so I had to improvise. I decided to shrink the top of the table so it fit inside the frame and then I was able to get little nails inside so they act like hinges. The top opens and closes as needed.
This is what I came up with.
Some of the pieces drying from the first coat of stain. I put a bit of plasticine like glue on the bottom of the piece, and put a leftover stick on it. This way I can hold the piece and stain everything in one shot. Then I just flip it around and finish the underside.
Finished top of the desk. It's a bit of a snug fit since I forgot that after staining, everything would be a bit more bulky.
And the open top.
Finally the desk is assembled!!
And with the drawers. I have to get another coat of stain on the fronts. And I will have to rethink the veneer on the bottom for the next desk, since it shows that it's there. Either I'll have to glue everything around the veneer or make the front in the end.
And the other side. This side isn't as good as the other one, so maybe I'll leave some of the drawers open on this side and let the table face the other side.
I'm thinking I might make a new drawer to replace the second one from the bottom, since that one has the biggest hole.
All of the drawers.
Tomorrow I'll try to find some knobs and legs. I was thinking beads for the legs, except I don't know what that'll look like since they're not made of wood. And for the knobs I was thinking I'd snip off the kind of nails I used for the opening top but leave them to stick out a little. I'll have to try that, but if that doesn't work I'll have to think of something else. I just don't know what yet...
Well, all in all it was great building this desk and I can't wait to make another one. I'll do some things differently and I hope that it'll turn out better than this one. I like almost everything on this one, except the drawers. I'll have to work on that on the next one.
Well, it was silly to expect that on my first try the drawers would turn out perfectly so for a first try I'm satisfied with them.
Until next time!